Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Reflection: Moving on with Grace and Thanks

This is very far from a typical post on our blog, but I've felt an extremely strong urge to write this. Recently, things have just not been seeming to go right for me. A string of bad events led me to today's tipping point: overnight, my car was broken-into on my driveway, and Christmas presents that I had purchased for friends and for my mom were stolen. Along with the scary thought of a burglary occurring just feet away from where I was sound asleep, the utter notion of having $200 worth of items stolen from me upset me tremendously. What did the perpetrator do to earn them? Had they, too, worked hard for the money earned to purchase them, and gone to carefully pick out each item? I was frustrated and upset. My day was spun into motion by an act that I simply could not control.

While at school, I texted my mom with anger and frustration seeping through my speedy fingers. Her response was the usual, loving and thoughtful message that never fails to put a smile on my face. But this time, she really put things into perspective for me. She had just seen a patient, a Syrian woman whose hands had been cut off by terrorists while living in Syria. This woman has every right to be angry, every right to resent the world for what happened to her, yet she still lives her life with no complaint. She, like so many others, carry on without the things that we take for granted every single day. This gave me a thankful mindset for school day, reminding me that my struggles, though valid, are only temporary.

A few other small unfortunate events happened throughout the rest of the day however, and by the end of school, I just felt completely torn and frustrated. This day had only existed to make messes that were unfixable. With so many moments like these occurring simultaneously, it's hard to believe that things will get better.

But they do, and they did. Just before writing this, my mother and I drove to the lululemon store to repurchase a few of the items that had been stolen. When we reached the store, my grumpy mood had, amazingly, worsened. When we entered lululemon, I felt tears welling and I just could not handle it. Without looking my mother in the eyes, my tears still burning, I told her that all I wanted to do was go home. We left the store. The chilly wind immediately hit my wet eyes, only making it worse. I threw my face into my hands and for a moment, heard nothing around me, until a woman adorned in workout gear quickly approached us from behind. She handed me a red card, saying that she hoped my day would get better and that this card could hopefully help. It was a gift card to the store, a token of this kind woman taking notice of my sadness. This small, simple act of kindness reminded me of the good that is in the world. I am lucky enough to live in a place where good always prevails.

Although I cannot say that I am completely healed from the negativity I have felt recently, today's events and outcomes have left me certain that I have so much to be thankful for each and every day. When things don't go my way, I can learn to become more appreciative of when they do. And, above all, although I don't always understand why what happens, happens, I still survive each day to live the next with grace and thanks.


E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.