Friday, March 20, 2015

Emma: Marina in March

Marina in March

With increased travel this month, airplane time has nearly reached it's maximum for me... (Seriously. 20 hours and counting.)

I can never sleep on flights, and I find it hard to just blindly stare out the window. That's why music has been my savior this March.

My music taste is definitely not broad, and I'm not afraid to admit that! I like to stay within my comfort-zone and occasionally branch out to new artists.

One of my all-time favorites is Marina and the Diamonds.

She just dropped an album on the 15th.

I still can't get over it.

FROOT: My top three


I've already given the album a good run-down and have determined my favorite tracks of the moment. I'm always initially drawn to upbeat melodies; slower, deeper songs take more time for me to love. That's why my current top three are all similar in that they have a faster, catchier melody!

1. Can't Pin Me Down

This track is the most upbeat of the album and has interesting clashes in both scope and lyrics. I'm typically drawn to poppy tunes, so this one naturally stands out to me! The lyrics have some contradiction; I am really captured by the interesting ideas about how women are expected to fit into a certain mold. In this song, Marina defies that idea by explaining that she changes day to day and isn't ashamed of it.

2. Forget

Also one of the more fast-paced tracks on this album, Forget is definitely one of my favorites. Marina's vocals in this are simply beautiful, and the actual message of this song is extremely empowering. Her lyric style is evolving in that it is a lot more straightforward than in the past, and this song is a prime example of that evolution.

3. Blue

This song makes me the opposite of blue! I love that it combines the style of some of her older work with her newer fresh lyrics and, again, straightforward ideas. This song is very real and relatable to anybody who has experienced heartbreak.


I sincerely hope you'll check out the album if you haven't already.
The world could use more Diamonds:)

XOXO
E


Image: 
Marina and the Diamonds - Froot. Digital image. Wikimedia.org. N.p., n.d. Web. <http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Marina_and_the_Diamonds_-_Froot_(album).png>.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.